Bali’s largest and most famous temple. Pura Besakih, is situated high on the slopes of Mount Agung. Established around about 1007 A., it has been regarded as the major temple on the island of Bali, focal point of the Hindu religion, since the 15th Century. Each regency of Bali has it own sub-temple within the great Besakih complex, and all Balinese pay homage here. The are 18 separate sanctuaries, all belonging to different affiliations and caste groups. The three major temples are Pura Penataran Agung, once belonging to the royal family of Klungkung, dedicated to the supreme God Sang Hyang Widi Wasa, Pura Kiduling Kreteg, dedicated to Brahma, and Pura Batu Medog, dedicated to Wisnu.
After climbing an extremely steep gradient the road suddenly arrives at the top of the hill, where a wide vista of crater, mountain and lake take one completely by surprise. This is Penelokan, the “look out” , where an entire panorama stretches out as far as the eyes can see changing continually in colour and light with weather conditions. It is very often in the clouds, which roll across the entire caldera is a blanketing mist, the suddenly disappear, revealing a serene blue lake and the mountain of Batur in the midst of its giant crater where streams of black lava scar the landscape.
Penglipuran is a traditional countryside owning unique characteristic life, socializing and culture. It is located in Kubu Village , Bangli Sub district and Bangli Regency. The natural nature and environments of countryside is designating the pittance touch of modernization influence. This countryside is supported by cool atmosphere because it is located on the height land about 700 m above sea level and according to history of all old doyens that this countryside is taken away from the word Pengeling Pura what its meaning remember to ancestor, but there is also telling that the word of Penglipur mean the entertainer. It is said that at former empire era, all king often use this area as a place to amuse themselves, because its nature is beautiful and can give the peacefulness and inspiration at the time of experiencing a problem.
Kerta Gosa and Taman Gili
Kertha Gosa and Taman Gili, the Royal Courts of Justice of Klungkung, are a reminder of the power and glory of this former kingdom. These two stately pavilions in their lotus pond gardens at the centre of the town of Klungkung, were built in the 18th Century, at which time the acted as the island’s highest court of law. Their fantastic ceiling murals in the traditional ”wayang” style of painting depict the punishment in hell for wrong-doers, as well as the rewards in heaven for those who are good and honest in their lifetime, depicting a highly evocative view of the Balinese belief in “karma pala”; every action bears fruit, be it good or bad.
Judgements were made according to traditional lawa by three Brahmana high priests. During Dutch colonial rule the courts were still held here, pronouncing judgements on cases concerning custom and traditional law which could not be settled at the village level. Meetings were also held during the full moon of every fourth month of the Balinese Calender, attended by the regional king throughout Bali, wherein the high King of Klungkung gave his directives and decisions concerning the problems of Kertha Gosa was also often used for audiences granted to guests and foreigners by the king.
A tall gateway behind Kertha Gosa once led into Bali’s most splendid palace, which was destroyed in the Dutch bombardments of 1908 that resulted in the conquest of the island. A memorial to this terrible Puputan bttle that ended 600 years of glorious rule in Bali bye the descendant of Majapahit, has been erected on the eastern side of the Regent’s office, across the road from Kertha Gosa.